Sunday, May 1, 2011

April's Product of the month, the Clear Advantage Clarifying Set

Today’s product is the Arbonne Clear Advantage Clarifying set.
http://www.arbonne.com/products/beyond_basics/set.asp

This product is near and dear to my heart, as it is the first Arbonne product I ever tried, and the one that got me hooked.

Remember that oily/dry/acne prone skin I just admitted to? The problem is amplified in the winter months...and this year I was SO thankful for the second winter in a row to have these products. I am sensitive to Benzoyl Peroxide, like a lot of people are, so products containing it, like Pro-Active keep me splotchy and peeling, even when I only used it every other day. I tolerated it better as a teenager, and I wonder if Benzoyl peroxide is more effective against typical teenage acne (which is normally largely caused by simply overproduction of oils) than adult acne (which tends to be more complex). Arbonne Clear Advantage is Salicylic Acid based, which I react to much better, but even then, I have had issues with over the counter versions of the product. Clear Advantage contains additional soothing botanicals, such as peppermint and licorice root (both of which are known to decrease puffiness and redness) as well as vitamins A,C, and E, which really seems to be the key, as my skin is better than it has been in years. It also does not contain FRAGRANCES....look at your bottle of acne wash, and most of them do, which to me is stupid, because that is one thing that is mostly likely to cause skin irritation (why else do sensitive skin clothing detergents advertise that they are free of dyes and PERFUMES?)...and skin irritations cause acne!

The new tube shape of the facial wash is pretty awesome, too, much easier to use in the shower, and allows you to get more of the product out than the previous design (I hate waste!), although I had the little prong that seals the bottle break off a couple of times and that annoyed me. I like the addition of the Skin Support Dietary Supplement, as well, and I don't seem to have any digestive effects from consuming them, which was definitely a concern at first.

This system is one of the more comparatively pricey items I use by Arbonne. It really is a clear example of you get what you pay for. I have used several of the cheaper over the counter systems and they either didn’t work, or irritated my skin, or both. Compared to more high quality systems, its pretty on par. Even at its 100% retail cost, you pay $64.50 for the three part system, PLUS dietary supplement, so you pay barely over $16 per item.

For ProActive (which is kind of apples and oranges, as its benzoyl peroxide versus salicylic acid), even if I could use it, the cost for the three part kit fluctuates from the $20 start up price to $60 for the three part system of a similar size, normally $17-20 per component when I bought it from the kiosk at the mall...so head to head full price, Arbonne is under $5 more for the whole system (approximately two months supply), but you get the dietary supplement. And it doesn't eat the skin off my face. Which is nice.

In comparison to other high quality salicylic acid products, it falls close in line, like DDF salicylic acid wash at Sephora (retail $35 for 8.5 oz of the wash only), and I found this product to be a little rough on my skin as well, although effective. Like i said, you get what you pay for. All in all, this product is a home run for me...comparatively priced with other high end cleansers and three part systems, but you get more for your money with the dietary supplement and the addition of natural soothing ingredients that you just don't seem to find in other medicated scrubs. Of course, there are definitely ways to cut cost, such as hosting a party and receiving free and discounted product, or even better, become a preferred customer or consultant for Arbonne and never pay full price for the product to begin with!

Now, this all being said, I am in no way saying that any company has a magic bullet product that is perfect for everyone...I don't sell snake oil. Tons of people out there love Proactive, it's a great product that didn't work for me. Your mileage may vary. However, Arbonne's 45 day money back guarantee makes it a worthwhile gamble, in my opinion. I also wanted to say that when fighting acne in general, I have found that one of the most important steps that does not come with this kit (but I really wish it did!) is a good exfoliant. Exfoliate every single day to removed dead cells that contribute to clogged pores! Arbonne carries one that I like, the FC5 New Cell Scrub. But I am going to tell you the product that I love, although perhaps I should whisper it because it is not an Arbonne product. St. Ives medicated Apricot Scrub. It's, like; $2 a tube and is amazing. I use it once a day every day. But whatever you use, do yourself a favor and exfoliate if you don't already.

I really hope this particular review had helped you, acne is a terrible thing to try and fight and takes so much from you in terms of self esteem and confidence. It was nothing short of miraculous for me to find out I had great skin under there! I hope you can do the same!

-Carli
www.sensationalskincare.myarbonne.com

No comments:

Post a Comment